[Savannah-help-public] [sr #107077] bzr+ssh:// preferable to sftp://

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: [Savannah-help-public] [sr #107077] bzr+ssh:// preferable to sftp://
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 00:23:21 +0000

Also, regarding this:

* "For example: do you intend, at a point, to implement centralised mail
notification on commit? (which is the first thing people ask here) Currently
this relies on an expansive, per-repository scanning every 5 minutes through
bzr-hookless-email, which isn't scalable."

We are implementing commit notification via a separate script that does not
run on savannah.  Stefan Monnier implemented it; I do not know if he used
bzr-hookless-email.  But in any case there should not be any "expensive" scan
involved.  The way bzr-hookless-email works -- and the way I'd imagine any
other reasonable implementation of this would work -- is to remember the last
revision for which notification was sent, and then send new notification as
new revisions come in.  The cost to savannah is (by definition) no worse than
the cost of a developer pulling down the changes since their last pull, which
is, of course, one of the most common operations there is in Bazaar.

(It might actually be *more* efficient to just run bzr-hookless-email on the
server side, but either way we're talking about small loads here.  It
shouldn't be an issue.)

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?107077>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/