Re: [Savannah-help-public] update to mirror list (linking policy)

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-help-public] update to mirror list (linking policy)
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2010 17:58:25 -0400

    I'm not sure this is a good idea as it also deters non-spammers from

Yeah, that's the downside, but rms already explicitly asked us to do
rel=nofollow for the gnu mirrors.  It doesn't seem like that big an
issue that savannah must be different here?

Personally, I also am unconvinced about how useful nofollow really is,
but I don't see that it hurts anything (unlike Tor ...).  Real people
who mirror gnu already have high pageranks precisely because they are
real sites.  My experience in talking to (real) mirror admins is that
they don't care about such things at all, they're just trying to help us
because we requested it.

karl