Re: [Savannah-help-public] Is it okay to add code taken from other proje

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-help-public] Is it okay to add code taken from other projects to my project?
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 23:30:45 GMT

Hi Scott,

    Is it okay to copy the wget source code into my project

I see objectify is GPLv3+, so the answer is yes.

    (I assume it is GPL'd)?

Of course.  wget is GPLv3+ too (with an SSL permission).

    http://smarteiffel.loria.fr/.  I was wondering if it would be okay to
    add that code to my Objectify project?  It is GPLv2.

As far as I can recall, it is GPLv2-or-later.  In which case, the answer
is again yes.

    However, I don't believe the documentation with has a license
    specified.

Well, that's a bug in the Eiffel distribution, then.  The documentation
of GNU packages is generally licensed under the GFDL, although there are
exceptions.  In any case, it certainly must be free.  If you could
report the lack of the explicit license to the current Eiffel
maintainers, that would be greatly appreciated (by me :).

Happy hacking!

karl