[Savannah-help-public] [sr #107321] Add index.shtml to apache's Director

From: Karl Berry
Subject: [Savannah-help-public] [sr #107321] Add index.shtml to apache's DirectoryIndex
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2011 21:29:58 +0000

Well, index.html is SSI-parsed, so what's the problem?

Personally I've seen far more sites with index.html (using SSI)
than index.shtml.

And anyway of course the url's should not refer to either, specifically, but
just the directory.

The issue is not computer resources; of course that is effectively zero.  but
you would be surprised to learn all the crazy stuff that happens to serve up
the web sites.  Reducing the number of index file names really does simplify
the scripts and infrastructure behind it all.

At any rate, it is the FSF sysadmins who control the server and the
configuration.  (So, incidentally, we can't do the mime thing you just
requested, either.  Will pass that on to the sysadmins shortly ...)

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?107321>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/