[Savannah-help-public] [sr #107718] Cannot delete master branch of GIT

From: suzuki toshiya
Subject: [Savannah-help-public] [sr #107718] Cannot delete master branch of GIT
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 10:10:49 +0000

             Assigned to: None
        Originator Email: address@hidden
        Operating System: GNU/Linux
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

Hi,
Thank you for efforts to maintain the savannah website.

I have a difficulty in the canceling of wrong commit in
the master branch of GIT. The support request #107682
looks similar, but I think my trouble is only for master
branch, so I submit another request.

I had pushed a wrong commit by my mistake, and trying to cancel it.

For first, I make a backup branch without my mistake as:
$ git clone
ssh://address@hidden/srv/git/freetype/freetype2-demos.git
$ git checkout HEAD^ # rewind before my mistake
$ git branch master-20110602
$ git checkout master-20110602
$ git push ssh://address@hidden/srv/git/freetype/freetype2-demos.git
master-20110602 :master-20110602

Then, I try to delete the master branch including my mistake as:
$ git push ssh://address@hidden/srv/git/freetype/freetype2-demos.git
:master
But I got the message that current branch cannot be removed
because it is protected by the configuration in the remote server
side.

remote: error: By default, deleting the current branch is denied, because the
next
remote: error: 'git clone' won't result in any file checked out, causing
confusion.
remote: error:
remote: error: You can set 'receive.denyDeleteCurrent' configuration variable
remote: error: 'warn' or 'ignore' in the remote repository to allow deleting
the
remote: error: current branch, with or without a warning message.
remote: error:
remote: error: To squelch this message, you can set it to 'refuse'.
remote: error: refusing to delete the current branch: refs/heads/master
To ssh://address@hidden/srv/git/freetype/freetype2-demos.git
 ! [remote rejected] master (deletion of the current branch prohibited)
error: failed to push some refs to
'ssh://address@hidden/srv/git/freetype/freetype2-demos.git'

Nothing to say, I can delete non-master branch successfully.
$ git push ssh://address@hidden/srv/git/freetype/freetype2-demos.git
:master-20110602
To ssh://address@hidden/srv/git/freetype/freetype2-demos.git
 - [deleted]         master-20110602

I think "deny the request to remove master branch" is safe configuration, but
I wish if the project administrator can
change the switch. Is there any method to change the switch?
Or, is there any better method to cancel wrong commit from
the master branch of GIT?

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?107718>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/