Re: [savannah-help-public] Wrong encoding in commit messages sent to gro

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [savannah-help-public] Wrong encoding in commit messages sent to groff-commit
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 17:15:17 -0700

Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> I've just committed a tiny change to groff, and now *two* e-mails are
> sent to the `groff-commit' list.  This is overkill IMHO.

There is one message to notify of the change to the branch status.
Then there is one email for each individual commit.  If you were
pushing twenty changes all at one time then there would be 21 message
with one about the completely push and one for each of the individual
commits.

> Isn't it possible to avoid that?

Here are the configurations possible.

  https://github.com/mhagger/git-multimail

  multimailhook.mailinglist

      The list of email addresses to which notification emails should be
      sent, as RFC 2822 email addresses separated by commas.  This
      configuration option can be multivalued.  Leave it unset or set it
      to the empty string to not send emails by default.  The next few
      settings can be used to configure specific address lists for
      specific types of notification email.

  multimailhook.refchangeList

      The list of email addresses to which summary emails about
      reference changes should be sent, as RFC 2822 email addresses
      separated by commas.  This configuration option can be
      multivalued.  The default is the value in
      multimailhook.mailinglist.  Set this value to the empty string to
      prevent reference change emails from being sent.

  multimailhook.announceList

      The list of email addresses to which emails about new annotated
      tags should be sent, as RFC 2822 email addresses separated by
      commas.  This configuration option can be multivalued.  The
      default is the value in multimailhook.refchangelist or
      multimailhook.mailinglist.  Set this value to the empty string to
      prevent annotated tag announcement emails from being sent.

  multimailhook.commitList

      The list of email addresses to which emails about individual new
      commits should be sent, as RFC 2822 email addresses separated by
      commas.  This configuration option can be multivalued.  The
      default is the value in multimailhook.mailinglist.  Set this value
      to the empty string to prevent notification emails about
      individual commits from being sent.

None of those are set.

> As soon as there is more than a single commit at push time, it makes
> sense to have a `header' e-mail in addition to one e-mail per
> commit.  For the case of a single commit, it feels like an annoyance
> without any additional benefit.

I am not a python person so I am not going to be hacking on it but
feel free to modify the python script.  Even better work with the
upstream to get the features you into the code! :-)

In the meantime I will change the config to this one.  I think that
will prevent the sending of the branch change notification but will
still preserve the individual commit notifications.

   mailinglist =
   commitList = address@hidden

Bob