Re: [savannah-help-public] boiler plate html template is currently unava

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [savannah-help-public] boiler plate html template is currently unavailable
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 14:05:27 -0600

Edscott Wilson wrote:
> http://web.cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/*checkout*/www/server/standards/boilerplate.html?root=www&content-type=text%2Fplain

Try it again.  It is available now.

> Internal Server Error

> unable to complete your request.

This is a known problem.  One that has been going on relatively long
term.  The problem is that the Savannah servers are virtual machines
running on a shared host.  They are affected by other VMs also running
on the same shared host.  When these other systems consume resources
it also affects the Savannah servers.  In particular the I/O bandwidth
seems to be the culprit.  When that happens processes cannot complete
and eventually time out.

The detail on this is that the frontend is talking to your browser.
The httpd server is talking to the version control backend server.
The backend server needs to perform I/O but can't.  It timed out and
failed to respond.  This caused the frontend server to give you the
above report.  This is a known problem but only the FSF can do
anything about it.  Their is an open trouble ticket on the problem.

> Please contact the server administrator, address@hidden and
> inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might
> have done that may have caused the error.

Thank you for reporting this problem.  It is useful to have additional
reports to characterize the issue.  I believe I also saw this load
spike as it passed by the system.  Nothing was happening on the
Savannah systems itself but something was happening on other VMs
running on the same hardware and accessing the same underlying file
system volume groups.

If this happens again the only advice I can give is to wait a few
minutes (ten or fifteen) and then try again.  By then the background
load spike should have passed and the resources will become available
again.

Bob