[savannah-help-public] Recommending other hosting

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: [savannah-help-public] Recommending other hosting
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2015 09:24:53 -0500

Since we can't handle more non-GNU packages on Savannah, how
about mentioning gna.org in the message that says we can't?

Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2015 18:57:29 +0100
From: David Englund <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: Re: No subject

About Gna! - From http://about.gna.org/

the Gna! Project
Introduction

Welcome to the homepage of the Gna! project, a central point for
development, distribution and maintenance of Libre Software (Free
Software) projects, started in January 2004.

Day-to-day management of the project is handled via the Administration
meta-project. If you are looking for documentation or help, please go there.

If you want to support us financially, you can make an online donation
to the FSF France.

Our Constitution
Preamble

The Gna! constitution has been written by the maintainers and
administrators of the Gna! development platform. It defines how Gna! is
to be governed. All members of the Gna! group accept the rules as laid
out by this constitution.

When we speak about software, we usually mean computer program. We
believe that documentation should be treated identically as long as it
is primarily concerned with technical issues. However we consider
documentation as something distinct from programs.

By Libre Software, we mean Free Software as defined by the GNU Project.
Users should have: the freedom to run the program, for any purpose ; the
freedom to study how the program works ; the freedom to redistribute
copies ; the freedom to improve the program, and release improvements to
the public. In regard to documentation, we believe that the user should
have the same degree of freedom in dealing with the purely technical parts.

Constitutive members are Vincent Caron, Loic Dachary and Mathieu Roy.
Article 1.- Gna! will remain entirely Libre Software

We promise that the Gna! platform will be entirely run on (be based on)
Libre Software.
Article 2.- We won't hide problems

We will not discuss Gna! issues on private mailing-lists, no decision
will be made privately. However, short delays are acceptable when
sensitive information or security concerns are involved.
Article 3.- Programs that don't meet our Libre Software standards

We do not believe that mixing Libre Software with proprietary software
helps Libre Software. We will not provide proprietary software and we
will not accept projects which have mandatory dependencies on
proprietary software. In other words, as long as your software can run
with entirely Libre Software, we can accept further contributions which
rely on non-Libre Software, such as ports to proprietary operating systems.

We will only host programs with GPL-compatible licensing terms, so we
can easily mix them with GPL programs. For non-program contributions, we
will decide on a case per case basis whether these restrictions apply or
not. For instance, most of the time GPL compatibility will not be
required for documentation work.
Article 4.- We will support the GNU philosophy

We do believe in the GNU Philosophy and we will support the GNU Project.

For instance, we require that Gna! users use proper wording and avoid
common misconceptions : the Linux kernel is not the GNU/Linux operating
system, commercial software is not necessarily proprietary software and
Libre Software (Free Software) is not Open Source.
Article 5.- We will work as a limited democracy

Decisions will be made for Gna! as if we were members of a people
(dèmos) sharing equally, or almost, the power (cratos).

If one of us disagrees with another on a decision about Gna!, and given
that he communicates in a reasonable time-span, a vote requiring the
absolute majority (51%) will be held among the active members of our
group (Active: Any member having handled day-to-day activities in the
last two months prior to the vote).

Decisions must conform to this Constitution.

This Constitution can be amended by a vote at the absolute majority
(51%), requiring unanimity of the Constitutive members (Note: if a
Constitutive member publicly announces that he will quit permanently the
project, his own vote is no longer required).

This text has been partly inspired by the Debian Social Contract. Derek
Feichtinger contributed to its elaboration.

Copyright (C) 2004, The Gna! people. Verbatim copying and distribution
of this entire article is permitted in any medium, provided this notice
is preserved.

Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation
51 Franklin St