Re: [savannah-help-public] GitBucket and Savannah

From: Assaf Gordon
Subject: Re: [savannah-help-public] GitBucket and Savannah
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2015 23:20:23 -0500

Hello,

> On Dec 17, 2015, at 23:07, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Suppose we got a much bigger server and had people to run it well.
> Would running GitBucket on Savannah make sense?

IMHO running "GitBucket" in its current form/features does not make sense for
Savannah, for the following reasons:

1.
GNU Savannah has some unique hosting requirements that are not shared by other
hosting services (or frameworks like GitBucket):
New projects must be reviewed and approved, can not be deleted, and arbitrary
duplication of projects (a.k.a "forking") is not allowed,
and requiring clear distinction between gnu and non-gnu projects (including URL
redirections and such).

2.
Many of the features provided by GitBucket are already provided by Savannah:
 git, http(s) and ssh protocol access (both read-write and anonymous read-only).
 user management,
 web-based repository viewers

Other features are not necessarily features we want on Savannah (private
repositories, forks, wikis, activity timeslines per developer, gravatar,
plugins).

Many of the additional features provided by GitBucket over today's savannah
features are web-based niceties, likely requiring a modern web-browser and
javascript to function.

3.
GitBucket is written in Java, and their developers do not seem committed to
ensure it runs on free Java implementations.

regards,
 - assaf