Re: [savannah-help-public] slow push times

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [savannah-help-public] slow push times
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2016 12:15:04 -0700

Hi Arnold,

Aharon Robbins wrote:
> Pushes to the gawk repo on Savannah are taking a long time. It prints
> all the numbers quickly, but then takes several minutes to complete.
> Any idea what's happening?

The vcs virtual machine and the underlying host is in a perpetual
state of overload.  It is currently running a load of 20 for the past
few days.  It had a spike to 75 a few hours ago.  RAM use is
reasonable.  cpu utilization is mostly negligent.  This is typical
when the VM can't get I/O bandwidth from the underlying host server
and so all tasks get blocked in the ready-to-run-but-waiting- for-I/O
queue.

The VM system has quite a few I/O processes stacked up in the process
queues.

  vcs:~# ps -ef | grep -c -e git -e cvs -e svn -e bzr -e hg
  45

Since it is a virtual machine the actual system performance stats are
relatively fake so can't really be trusted.  One would need to look at
the dom0 host for real stats.

This VM is shared with other VMs.  My general belief is that the total
I/O for the entire stack of VMs overloads the underlying host system.
When that happens even simple disk I/O in the VM is very slow.  That
causes everything to queue for long times.

It is frustrating.

Bob