Re: [savannah-help-public] Automatic post to "commits" list now requires

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [savannah-help-public] Automatic post to "commits" list now requires approval
Date: Sat, 7 May 2016 12:12:07 -0600

Hello Greg,

Greg Chicares wrote:
> I mention this slight nuisance only in case it's unintentional.

Thank you for notifying us about this problem.  I will add it to the
list of issues that need to be resolved.  It is a symptom of a problem
that I didn't know about and it needs to be fixed before more people
hit it.

> Until today, commits to svn.sv.nongnu.org/svn/lmi/ have been
> posted to lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/lmi-commits/
> automatically through a hook that was set up years ago.

This sounds like a very typical configuration.

> But today I committed a change, and received an email saying that
> the hook caused a "Post by non-member to a members-only list" by
> address@hidden . It looks like I can easily work
> around that by adding myself to the "Accepts" filter.

Friday late the admins migrated the systems fron one host system to
another.  Unfortunately there were some problems.  Your mail issue is
part of the set of problems from the move.

First though let me talk about the mailing list setup because I looked
at the mailing list configuration.  It is different from what it
"should be" by our recommendations.

I see that there is only one member subscribed to the mailing list and
it isn't your address subscribed.  Because you are not subscribed you
won't have your posting covered under a subscriber posting policy.
(Which we usually don't like as a sole anti-spam measure anyway,
becuase we have a frequent problem where spammers subscribe and then
post spam.  Normally we advise to hold all new addresses until they
post a valid message and then unmoderate subscribed  addresses and
whitelist non-subscribed.)

And so your whitelisting of the non-subscribed address is the normal
and typical thing to do.  You would only need to approve new addresses
once and then they would be good to go forever.  I see that the
address you needed to whitelist was this one.  Which was different
from your previously whitelisted address.  That tells me something
important that I need to take care of *soonest*.

  address@hidden

Now here is the breakage.  And here is my part in the breakage.  The
migration had a system uid problem which broke email.  In order to
restore outgoing email I installed a parallel mail transport agent as
a temporary measure.  Which worked and outgoing email was able to
operate.  But obviously there was a canonical address map being
applied previously.  I didn't know about it.  Therefore I didn't
install it.  Not having it installed means that the outgoing address
being used is the one coming from vcs and not from your registered
mail address.

This caused the From: address to change.  Which is why you saw it in
the hold queue and needed to approve of a new address.

I will find and fix this problem immediately.  Because otherwise
everyone will hit it.  I will down the MTA to prevent any more email
not being mapped correctly.

Thank you writing us about this problem.

Bob