Re: [savannah-help-public] GNU Emacs repository corrupted on savannah

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [savannah-help-public] GNU Emacs repository corrupted on savannah
Date: Fri, 20 May 2016 12:59:49 -0600

Assaf Gordon wrote:
> Paul Eggert wrote:
> >This was just reported on emacs-devel here:
> >http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-05/msg00438.html
>
> Just notice that similar corruption happened yesterday with a different
> repository:
>   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-hackers/2016-05/msg00074.html
>
> I'll contact FSF sysadmins ASAP.

Ruben is working on this problem full time since the previous report.
Because where there is one rat there are going to be many rats.  After
seeing and confirming that first report we knew it was going to be a
serious problem.

The investigation so far mostly shows that the data on the disk has
been okay.  But in the layers above it the data sometimes gets
corrupted.

This won't be a consolation but there are both good backups of
everything and the recent good snapshot too.  Of course as time goes
by there will be new bits added to everything and that will grow every
day until resolved.

Bob