Re: [savannah-help-public] numdiff package checksum change

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [savannah-help-public] numdiff package checksum change
Date: Fri, 20 May 2016 17:31:11 -0600

Bob Proulx wrote:
> Joshua Hoblitt wrote:
> > The checksum on the numdiff 5.8.1 tarball has mysteriously changed. This
> > package was frequently download by a deployment script that is run
> > frequently at my $day_job.  We have disconnected usage of it as of a few
> > moments ago.  It is likely this change happened occurred in last day or two.
>
> Thank you for the report.  I can confirm the current file information:

The problem was a faulty SSD in a RAID10 set of four.  It was
returning corrupted data and reporting it as good data.  The faulty
drive has been removed from the array.  All of the systems have been
booted back up and are online again.

Things came back online just a few minutes ago.  I expect the FSF
admins will close the ticket you were CC'd on and you will get an
update there when they get the chance.  It is late on Friday there.

Data being written is written to both good and bad drives in the RAID1
mirror.  Data read is interlaced between the good and bad drives.
That is why the read data being accessed would sometimes have
corruption.  By removing the corrupting drive it is believed that all
of the data on the remaining good drive is okay.

Thank you very much for reporting this problem!  Your report was the
earliest report by a day and allowed us to jump on the problem
soonest before it had a chance to become worse.  THANKS!

Bob