[savannah-help-public] [sr #109138] wget receives a TLS warning alert

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: [savannah-help-public] [sr #109138] wget receives a TLS warning alert
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2016 08:42:45 +0000 (UTC)

Update of sr #109138 (project administration):

Follow-up Comment #1:

Since alpha.gnu.org isn't part of Savannah there isn't anything us Savannah
folks can do about it one way or the other.  If the problem is at
alpha.gnu.org then it will need to be handled by the FSF admins.  If the
problem is with wget or gnutls then it will need to be handled by those
projects.  Therefore I am closing.  But we can discuss it here in the
meantime.

However this looks like a problem on the wget gnutls side of things.  When I
visit https://alpha.gnu.org/ with a web browser the certificate validates okay
and everything looks okay when I look at the details.

Also I probed the site using:

openssl s_client -servername alpha.gnu.org -host alpha.gnu.org -port 443
-CApath /etc/ssl/certs -showcerts </dev/null | less

The information returned looked okay to me.  That doesn't mean there isn't
some problem.  It just means I didn't see it if there is a problem.

When I use curl it doesn't report any problems.  I confirm that I see the same
problems with wget on my Debian system.  Perhaps wget / gnutls isn't handling
the wildcard *.gnu.org certificate being returned?  I don't know.

The message does seem to imply that alpha.gnu.org isn't recognized in the SNI.
 I would take the problem to the FSF admins and see what they say.  Please
write to sysadmin AT gnu.org.  Perhaps their web server configuration doesn't
explicitly list alpha as a name possibility?  I don't know.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?109138>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/