[savannah-help-public] [sr #109246] Can't upload signed releases with `s

From: Michael Pagan
Subject: [savannah-help-public] [sr #109246] Can't upload signed releases with `scp' anymore, but `rsync' works instead?
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2017 19:30:37 +0000 (UTC)

             Assigned to: None
        Originator Email:
        Operating System: GNU/Linux
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

Hi!

I ran into a minor problem: When trying to upload a signed tarball to my
repository yesterday, I got the following error:

$ scp /home/pagan/cvs-projects/genshiken-0.5.2.tar.gz
/home/pagan/cvs-projects/genshiken-0.5.2.tar.gz.sig
address@hidden:/releases/genshiken
You tried to execute: scp -d -t /releases/genshiken
Sorry, you are not allowed to execute that command.
lost connection

I automate this command via my Makefile and have executed it many times in the
past, but this is the first time I have ever received that error.  After doing
some research on uploading a signed release
<http://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/DownloadArea/>, I found that _rsync_ can
be used as an alternative.  All I did was replace "scp" with "rsync" and the
above command worked!

My questions, however, are why did it fail in the first place?  Why does
_rsync_ work while _scp_ fails, especially when they are designed to do the
same thing?  The error stated: _Sorry, you are not allowed to execute that
command_; I saw the exact same message when trying to connect with ssh to a
cvs repo <https://savannah.gnu.org/support/?109210> and I'm curious if this
issue is related?  Does this have anything to do with the mirroring mechanism
being rewritten <https://savannah.gnu.org/support/?109219#comment1>?

*For now:* I am using _rsync_ to upload signed tarballs, but I wonder if this
problem is affecting anyone else, too.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?109246>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/