[savannah-help-public] [sr #109567] Download area link for some packages

From: Bruno Haible
Subject: [savannah-help-public] [sr #109567] Download area link for some packages uses insecure http protocol
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2018 20:25:09 -0400 (EDT)

> everyone is free to setup a mirror, and we add them to our list on their
request.

Ouch, this is bad. Someone who wants to become MITM for some packages just has
to setup a mirror, notify GNU, and add trojan horses to the sources and
binaries they offer.

> I think the only real protection is signatures.

Signatures done right would work, yes. But not in the current form:

1) It picks some mirror (in my tests, even the SAME mirror) for a file and its
signature file. (I tried
https://download.savannah.nongnu.org/releases/acl/acl-2.2.53.tar.gz and
https://download.savannah.nongnu.org/releases/acl/acl-2.2.53.tar.gz.sig.)
To enforce security, it would make sense to fetch the .sig file from the main
site and only the non-signature files from the mirror.

2) It requires that users check the signatures. Distros are doing  this, but
end users often are not - because there is no easy "download + check
signature" script available. Some work may be in progress on creating such a
script, I don't know.

3) The signatures rely on PGP/GPG, and we all know that there are fake
identities floating around in the PGP/GPG servers that are only apparent when
checking more than the usual 8 digits of a key id.

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/support/?109567>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.gnu.org/