[sr #110591] errors during git push

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: [sr #110591] errors during git push
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 20:54:39 -0500 (EST)

Update of sr #110591 (project administration):

             Assigned to:                    None => rwp

Follow-up Comment #2:

Thank you for reporting these from-the-client-side events.  Otherwise we would
not know about them.  And this is important information to know about.

The first error seems like an actual hook script something though.  I'll look
at it and see.  Things are on the new updated server now and there have been
some unexpected dependencies that were missing.  Can't discount that until it
is examined.

The git-gc packing though does look like a memory resource problem being
out-of-memory.  However let me know that the new server has 50% more RAM then
the old server had.  At the same time the new server has updated versions of
both git and glibc and the Linux kernel.  We know that those things don't get
less resource intense over time but always need more resources over time.  But
I would be unhappy to hear that it needs more than 50% more RAM with those
newer versions though.

Plus previously git shared the system with svn with viewvc, hg, and bzr with
loggerhead.  But I haven't migrated those over yet.  So on the new server with
50% more RAM it is only git and nothing but git there.

As I look at the running system it does not look to me like it is in any
memory stress at all.  It looks to be running around 1 GB of RAM usage as an
average as I am looking at top and such.  That doesn't really mean anything.
But out of the 6 GB available it looks to have plenty available to use.

I will increase the virtual memory avaible with some file system swap as an
initial response to the reports that things are out-of-memory.  Maybe there
are impulse spikes that are well above what can be handled now in which case
increasing swap would help with those spikes.  It's definitely far from
experiencing any swap thrashing.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?110591>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/