[sr #110594] git push returns "hints" about ignored hooks

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: [sr #110594] git push returns "hints" about ignored hooks
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 20:24:13 -0500 (EST)

Update of sr #110594 (project administration):

             Assigned to:                    None => rwp

Follow-up Comment #1:

Hi Berny,

Since this has been getting discussed in this other bug ticket I am going to
reference it and close this one.  Feel free to add comments there.

https://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?110591

I'll summarize.

First: Ignore that "hint:" message about hooks.  Until we can clean things up
across the 4643 git repositories.  It used to be that "git init" would install
many hook scripts in place as samples.  They were never enabled because the
file permissions were not executable.  They contained a comment that says:

# To enable this hook, make this file executable.

In between versions started creating repositories named with a foohook.sample
type naming where in addition to changing permissions one would need to rename
the file away from .sample too.  And so newer projects don't have those while
older ones do.

The newer version of git that we moved to on the 24th with the new server now
complains about those files that exist but are not executable.  Which is
extremely annoying since they are reversing what they had previously done as a
default.  They created thousands of those files and now they want to reverse
that decision.  Grr...

Of course it is just some simple scripting to process all of those and fix
things up.  And 'find' will be playing a huge good role in that scripting.
But this "hint:" issue was only reported yesterday and I haven't had the
moment to do it yet.  But I will get to it soonest because I am sure everyone
will be wondering about those new messages.

My plan is to preserve timestamps on files by renaming files rather than by
editing config files.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?110594>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/