[Savannah-register-public] [task #4033] Submission of TreeBind

From: Eric van der Vlist
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #4033] Submission of TreeBind
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 21:11:52 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

Site Admin. Approval/Edition URL:
 <https://savannah.gnu.org/admin/groupedit.php?group_id=7533>

###### ORIGINAL SUBMISSION DETAILS ######

System Group Name:
-----------------
  treebind

Full Name:
----------
  TreeBind

Type:
-----
  non-GNU software & documentation

License:
--------
  GNU General Public License V2 or later

Other License:
--------------

------------
  TreeBind is yet another XML <-> Java binding API.

The difference between TreeBind and most of the other ava binding APIs is
that we've tried to minimize the need for any type of schema or configuration
file and to maximize the usage of introspection of Java classes in order to
facilitate the integration with existing classes.

In fact, we've met that goal for the direction XML -> Java where we do not
need any other information than the correspondance between XML namespaces and
Java package names. The way round (Java -> XML) will require more information
if we want to cope with the syntactical variations that are allwed by XML. So
far, we generate a normalized document but we will need to introduce a
description (probably based on RELAX NG) of the target document if we want to
be able to generate other XML flavors.

Another difference between TreeBind and other binding framework is that
TreeBind isn't limited to XML and Java classes but is internally architected
to enable the binding between any type of representation of hierarchical
structures.

Such structures include Java classes, XML documents but also other
information stores such as structures of embeded dictionaries, LDAP
repositories, SQL databases, ... and TreeBind could be extended to support
those structures.

TreeBind has been developed for the INSEE (Institut national de la
statistique et des études économiques) and this organization has decided to
publish it under the GPL as advised for such projects by the French
administration.

The source has not been published yet and should be considered as an alpha
version. The names of the packages will most probably be changed and the
documentation is almost inexistant.

If you want to have a look, I have made it available for you at
http://dyomedea.com/treebind/.

A good starting point to understand its structure is to look at the unit
tests: http://dyomedea.com/treebind/tests/Test.java.

If you need any other information, don't hesitate to contact me at
address@hidden

Other Software Required:
  This is a Java library that will be available to run in one of the
available Free Java environments.

The dependencies are JAXP (the Apache Xerces implementation is recommended)
and Junit if one wants to run the unit tests.

Other Comments:

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?func=detailitem&item_id=4033>