[Savannah-register-public] [task #4073] Submission of Word Processor PNG

From: Paul Sherman
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #4073] Submission of Word Processor PNG Clipart
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 06:49:30 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

Site Admin. Approval/Edition URL:
 <https://savannah.gnu.org/admin/groupedit.php?group_id=7571>

###### ORIGINAL SUBMISSION DETAILS ######

System Group Name:
-----------------
  wprocclipart

Full Name:
----------
  Word Processor PNG Clipart

Type:
-----
  non-GNU software & documentation

License:
--------
  GNU General Public License V2 or later

Other License:
--------------

------------
  http://www.pcbypaul.com/linux/packages/abiword_clipart-2.2.7-2.tar.bz2

A clipart collection for use with word processors, particularly AbiWord.
Since Abi had fits printing transparent and/or image formats other than PNG,
I have collected a large collection of Public Domain images of several
formats and rescaled, optimized, converted to PNG and "flattened" to make
them work quickly. This makes them appropriate for a word processing
application, rather than the much larger files one would want to start with
to later edit in an image editor.
  The sources of images are all listed in the package, the bulk of which are
from OpenClipart.org and SERP (The Science Education Resource Page): also the
US History section mostly from Teaching Politics (public domain images of
American Political History.)
 I also include a patch to AbiWord-2.2.7 source code to make the
"Insert->Picture" menu item point to the Abi clipart dir, rather than current
directory, which is not too intuitive -- but much like OpenOffice and others.
The patch has not yet been accepted, but I am hopeful, as it makes finding
the clipart much easier, especially for  al the schoolkids currently using
AbiWord.(It is used throughout my ten-year-old's school.)
 Of course the images can be used for any purpose, not just AbiWord or even a
word processor.But with them I finally got AbiWord on Linux to print
consistently of excellent quality. Even thin lineart scales down cleanly, as
if working with an SVG.

Other Software Required:
  Clipart, so no dependencies except being able to use PNGs.
AbiWord patch useful if you use AbiWord, otherwise irrelevant.

Other Comments:

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?func=detailitem&item_id=4073>