[Savannah-register-public] [task #4287] Submission of DasForum

From: Heiko Rothkranz
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #4287] Submission of DasForum
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:53:14 +0000

Hi,
I wrote an email to Mr. Stijn de Reede, the author of the PHP-licensed files
and not just asked him if I'm allowed to publish them, but if I'm allowed to
include them into my GPL-package.
The message was the following:

Hello Mr. Stijn de Reede,
I'd like to ask you for permission to include slightly modified files
from your PEAR-Package "HTML_BBCodeParser" into my PHP bulletin board
system "DasForum". I wrote that in my freetime and now I think it's time
to release it under the GNU GPL. Well, as far as I could understand the
PHP-License with my poor english, I have to ask you for permission to
include your code into my GPL-code.
[...]

He answered:

Hi Heiko,

Of course you may use the source files from my package and remove some PEAR
dependency's. I'd like it if you left the license notice and my name as author
in there.
I really have the bugfix and update my package, but unfortunatly I can't find
the time to do so, but if I do, be sure to get an update from pear.php.net.

Regards,

Stijn de Reede

As I understood him, I'm allowed to include his files into GNU-GPL-code and so
everyone is allowed to include and redistribute them, too (as long as they
keep the license notice intact). If this is not enough, could it be possible
to distribute the PHP-licensed files in a seperate archive, so the GPL-code
and the PHP-licensed code have to be downloaded seperately or sth. like that
or sth. like a meta-license? Well, I could remove these files, but a
bulletinboard without bbcode is sth. quite poor.. and it would take a while to
code sth like that on my own.

Second, I included a new COPYING and uploaded the new archive to
http://schorsch.gammelan.de/forum-20050624.zip
Please just ignore that it's a .zip and not a .tar.gz, It's just because I
crashed my Linux installation and I haven't got tar on Windows. The files I'll
upload later will be in a free format again.

Regards,
Heiko

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?func=detailitem&item_id=4287>

  Nachricht geschickt von/durch Savannah