[Savannah-register-public] [task #4425] Submission of Yet Another DVD Sh

From: Per Weijnitz
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #4425] Submission of Yet Another DVD Shrinker
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 09:25:04 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Open/Closed: Open
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

Site Admin. Approval/Edition URL:
 <https://savannah.gnu.org/admin/groupedit.php?group_id=7817>

###### ORIGINAL SUBMISSION DETAILS ######

System Group Name:
-----------------
  yads

Full Name:
----------
  Yet Another DVD Shrinker

Type:
-----
  non-GNU software & documentation

License:
--------
  The license of Perl (disjunction of the Artistic License and the GNU GPL)

Other License:
--------------

------------
  *** Technical description:
yads - yet another DVD shinker script

A frontend to transcode. The goal is to make it as simple and foolproof as
possible to create an XVid file of the main feature of a DVD, with optional
hard-rendered subtitles (they are rendered onto the video frames). Another
goal is to make the resulting videofile compatible with standalone DVD-players
that accept DVD-/+R/RW.

It is merely a wrapper script, but I find it useful as it is a non-trivial
task to manually find the correct parameters to transcode, and to get all the
other stuff right. Why put it on Savannah? Perhaps someone else is struggling
to get this stuff to work (especially the compatibility with standalone
players), and could use it or do some improvements on the script.

*** Source code (may not be a working version, as I just changed
a few things):
http://web.comhem.se/~u86423594/tmp/yads.tgz

Other Software Required:
------------------------
  Requirements: transcode, subtitle2pgm (included with transcode), ffmpeg,
xine, xzgv, dvdbackup

Other Comments:
  For a while, I wondered if there could be legal issues with a script like
this, which has the explicit goal of creating videofiles out of DVDs. But then
projects like transcode and ffmpeg would be in trouble too right, and they
don't seem to be, so I guess it's OK. There is no encouragement that you
should break any laws and use it on copyrighted DVDs.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?func=detailitem&item_id=4425>