[Savannah-register-public] [task #5582] Submission of Expermental User H

From: Boon Pang Lim
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #5582] Submission of Expermental User Hosted Chat and Collabo
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 18:26:37 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Open/Closed: Open
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

A new project has been registered at Savannah
The project account will remain inactive until a site admin approve or
discard the registration.

######### REGISTRATION ADMINISTRATION #########

While this item will be useful to track the registration process, approving
or discarding the registration must be done using the specific "Group
Administration" page, accessible only to site administrators, effectively
logged as site administrators (superuser):

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/siteadmin/groupedit.php?group_id=8580>

######### REGISTRATION DETAILS #########

Full Name:
----------
  Expermental User Hosted Chat and Collabo

System Group Name:
-----------------
  piaget

Type:
-----
  non-GNU software & documentation

License:
--------
  GNU General Public License V2 or later

Other License:
--------------
  As part of this project, there will be several components.

The ajax sublibrary might be more suitable to be under LGPL, but since it is
small for now, we will release initial versions under GPL.

------------
  Experimental user-hosted communication and collaboration platform.

This project aims to develop a communication and collaboration platform, that
is essentially hosted by the end user. It will be built using an AJAX
philosophy, and employing a client-server architecture, with servers being
hosted by end users. A secure peer-to-peer backbone connecting servers will
be implemented.

As use case scenario, consider if somebody goes to
http://somebody's_private_domain/piaget/ to im, email, or check the guys
blog, instead of going to a public site like icq, gmail or livejournal. We
will have an outline with specific milestones in our implementation path. The
first step, is to have the server-client arch, and implement a chat
application.

The architectural design is incomplete, and we would like hosting space to
complete our design specs BEFORE programming. Tentatively, the design looks
like this:

* hosting servers written in java. We will use our openly-documented transfer
and communication protocol. They will provide "thin" clients in the form of
well structured javascript/css.
* The clients will use XMLhttprequest objects to approximate a desktop look
and feel.
* as part of the development, a practical and fast ajax-style coupled
javascript/java library will be built.
* Our primary support will be to host servers on java-capable platforms such
as linux and windows. The css/javascript will primarily support the firefox
browser (i.e. we will stick to their document-object model). We will try to
comply with W3C's html coding standards, but we when it is absolutly
unavoidable, we will choose practicality over idealism in (i.e. we'd rather
have it work than *possibly* work in a future release of w3c compliant
browsers)

Here are some additional guidelines we will follow.
* we will emphasize proper programming and software engineering technique.
Very likely we will not code until the architectural design is complete.

Other Software Required:
------------------------
  None. We will probably write most things ourselves.

We MAY use zK - http://zk1.sourceforge.net/
or Google Widget Toolkit - http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/

for cryptography, MAYBE - bouncy castle http://www.bouncycastle.org/

We MAY require the following software to be installed on the user's machine,
but we will not use their libraries:
apache httpd - http://httpd.apache.org/

Other Comments:
  We do not have working code yet, we would like to have some space to share
and work on the architectural design BEFORE coding.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?func=detailitem&item_id=5582>