[Savannah-register-public] [task #5902] Submission of Records And Servic

From: Stephan Peijnik
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #5902] Submission of Records And Services
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 20:13:34 +0000

Hi Brian,

First of all, please keep in mind that we are all volunteers and as such you
should not expect reply times as in business support or whatever.
Additionally one might note that some of us might be in another timezone as
you making replying immediatly next to impossible.

Okay, the next thing. This is not meant to be an offense of any kind, but you
make it sound as if you have something to offer us. Quite the contrary is the
case though, we are offering you a whole development platform. However, you
might have got this wrong, but neither GNU Savannah nor the GNU project
itself is offering any monetary help for development of software.

Okay, next thing: the tarball you submitted. The contents of that tarball
were a simple snapshot of multiple document roots and some files of your /etc
directory which we did not request at all. Additionally there are a few
directories which seem to be webroots of rather offending domains and their
respective web sites. All of this makes your submission look void.

Your statement about using Savannah to have experts around the world review
your code is probably a wrong opinion of Savannah in general as well. Let me
tell you again: Savannah is a development platform offering you hosting of
your sourcecode, project website, bug-, task- and supporttracker.

Additionally, I could be wrong here, but you might have gotten the meaning of
Free Software wrong. First of all, the 'Free' in 'Free Software' is used as in
'freedom of speech'. Second thing, this means it has nothing to do with the
costs of a software package. Basically Free Software should grant the user of
such following four freedoms: (0) to run for any purpose, (1) to study and
adapt to your needs, (2) ti redistribute, so you can help others, (3) to
release improvements, so everyone benefits. This is about the shortest
summary one could give about Free Software.

Let's move on, (quoting) 'in order to relicense it and sell it off as "my
own" source code'. If it isn't your own source code, you should neither have
applied a license nor a copyright statement to it. If you have done so, you
might want to stop distributing it, as it might be considered (it actually
is) a copyright violation.

About relicensing: for third parties this is not possible under the GPL;
actually this is the point in having such a license. You could still release
it as 'public domain' software, if you want people to be able to do whatever
they want to do with it.

Last but not least: I am sorry if this took a while, but as I mentioned we
are volunteers, unpaid, doing this in our spare time. Expecting us to be as
fast with a response as business support is something you should not do.

I hope I didn't offend you as that wasn't my intention at all. This text
should simply clarify a few things. However, I'm leaving this submission open
for now. If you still want to use Savannah, please let us know how exactly you
are planning to use your Savannah account.

Regards,

Stephan

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?5902>