[Savannah-register-public] Re: [gnu.org #333179] CPL + LGPL = compatible

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] Re: [gnu.org #333179] CPL + LGPL = compatible?
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 09:08:07 +0200

On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 06:58:30PM -0400, Karl Berry via RT wrote:
> Hi Sylvain,
>
> > It is possible to use the LGPL instead?
>
> Since it is possible to use LGPL'd code with *proprietary* software, I
> would certainly hope it can be used with the CPL, ASL, etc.

I'm not so sure, because the CPL is a copyleft.

We couldn't combine GPL + LGPL if there weren't the explicit
conversion clause in the LGPL. Both licenses need to accept the
combination.

Moreover the CPL authors seem to have a different interpretation of
"derivative work" than ours (eg "Contributions do not include
additions to the Program which: (i) are separate modules of software
distributed in conjunction with the Program under their own license
agreement, and (ii) are not derivative works of the Program." - which
we would interpret as "void set", afaik). That doesn't help.

--
Sylvain