[Savannah-register-public] [task #7405] Submission of Ava Gentoo overlay

From: Jonas Bernoulli
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #7405] Submission of Ava Gentoo overlays
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 19:58:34 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

A new project has been registered at Savannah
This project account will remain inactive until a site admin approves or
discards the registration.

= Registration Administration =

While this item will be useful to track the registration process, *approving
or discarding the registration must be done using the specific Group
Administration
<https://savannah.nongnu.org/siteadmin/groupedit.php?group_id=9582> page*,
accessible only to site administrators, effectively *logged as site
administrators* (superuser):

* Group Administration
<https://savannah.nongnu.org/siteadmin/groupedit.php?group_id=9582>

= Registration Details =

* Name: *Ava Gentoo overlays*
* System Name:  *ava-overlays*
* Type: non-GNU software & documentation
* License: GNU General Public License v2 or later

----

The project consists of several portage overlays for Gentoo GNU/Linux.

Gentoo (gentoo.org) is a source base. For each package there is an ebuild.
Ebuilds differ from e.g. rpm in that they are simple shell scripts containing
information on how the package has to be installed.

A package repository containing such ebuilds is called portage overlay.
Portage is Gentoo's main package manager; but there are others (pkgcore,
paludis) that are also capable of handling ebuilds.

A user application (layman) exists that allows the enduser to easily install
unofficial overlays.

There will be four overlays: for (1) GNU Emacs packages (2) the suckless.org
project (3) LaTeX, and (4) packages related to the versioncontrol system
bazaar (http://bazaar-vcs.org/).

To maintain such an overlay three things are need:

1. A place to host the actual overlay; that is the ebuild, plus little
metadata. I have choosen launchpad.net, as it uses bzr as vc.

2. A place to host a file describing the location of the overlay. The enduser
simply has to tell layman where to look for this file, and it does the rest. I
would like to host this file on savannah.

3. For some of the packages also a place is needed to host the tarballs of
the package. Here again I have savannah in mind.

But this is not needed for all packages. For some packages the file can be
fetched from upstream. Some of the ebuilds fetch the source from a
versioncontrol system.

However some packages remain for whose tarballs I need hosting. These
tarballs are really small though:

Most of the ebuilds for Emacs are for packages from emacswiki.org. The
normally consist of only one small to medium sized file. Those files could be
fetched directly from emacswiki.org. However it is Gentoo guideline that all
packages have to be compressed, single files should be gzipped. It is the
suckless project mission to write short code, so here again no big tars. The
LaTex and bzr related packages I want to distribute are also rather small, or
pull from a vcs.

I can not tell yet how much traffic there will be. However it is probably not
as much as you might fear:)

The status of the project is that I have used most of these ebuilds/packages
for months without any major problems. I will not put all ebuild online at
once, instead I will check their integrity and commit several ebuilds every
other day or so, in order to ensure their quality. I will also update these
ebuilds when new versions are released

The biggest repository will be the Emacs overlay. It should contain up to 150
ebuilds in a few weeks. The other overlays are no larger than ~10 packages.

The tarballs for all repositories can easily be hosted within the same
project here on savannah. I just need a directory where I can ftp them to.

==== Other Software Required: ====
Obviously this needs Gentoo GNU/Linux or a gentoo-base distribution. A
package manager like portage, pkgcore or paludis. And layman to fetch the
overlay; manually fetching is also possible but not very convenient.

==== Other Comments: ====
Thanks for considering my application!

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?7405>

  http://savannah.nongnu.org/