[Savannah-register-public] Re: Fwd: [task #7377] Submission of Breadcrum

From: Alexander Shulgin
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] Re: Fwd: [task #7377] Submission of Breadcrumbs
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 21:16:13 +0200

On 10/28/07, Sylvain Beucler <address@hidden> wrote:

> We can suggest using another library, or ask the Perl module author to
> relicense under "the same license as Perl" (which includes the GPL).
>
> I don't think it's good to use a less restrictive license, there will
> be the same problem as soon as you use third-party GPL'd code.

OK, here is refined reply:
-------------------------------

I'm evaluating your project for inclusion into Savannah.  While doing
so I've discovered a few problems:

The HEAD revision of git repository you have provided contains GPLv3,
while you specified GPLv2+ in the project submission.  Also, most of
the source files refer to GPLv2 or later.

Some of the test files src/t/Test*.pm are missing copyright and
license notices, please add them as appropriate.

Are you planning to include documentation into Savannah repository?
If so, please decide on the licensing: we generally accept GFDL and
compatible licensing schemes.  Refer to the following for details:
https://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/LicensingRequirements

The Number::Format module is under Artistic license--not compatible
with GNU GPL: http://search.cpan.org/src/WRW/Number-Format-1.52/README
You should replace the dependency on that module with some other which
uses a compatible license, or maybe try to convince the module author
to relicense it using Perl licensing scheme (Artistic + GPL).

The same goes for Mail::GnuPG, since it's GPLv2 only:
http://search.cpan.org/~jesse/Mail-GnuPG-0.10/GnuPG.pm#LICENSE
You won't be able to license your project under GPLv3 as long as it
uses GPLv2 only modules.  For more details see this:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#v2v3Compatibility

Could you please also clarify on what other 'very standard' packages
you project might depend on?  Just to make sure there are no other
licensing problems.

You are using repo.or.cz to host the code, please confirm you intend
to move your primary development to Savannah, since we do not allow
Savannah projects to be just project mirrors.

--
Alex