[Savannah-register-public] [task #10543] Submission of DirsyncNG

From: Kete
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #10543] Submission of DirsyncNG
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 17:20:36 +0000

Although the cygwin dependency is not totally GPL, it probably won't be
needed on a GNU system. "PyQt is licensed on all platforms under a commercial
license, the GPL v2 and the GPL v3."
http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/static/Docs/PyQt4/pyqt4ref.html#license
I'm assuming openssh's BSD license is the modified one without an advertising
clause; I couldn't grep it from the dist/license.txt file. Qt has LGPL v2.1 or
GPL v3, but I didn't see anything about Qt anywhere in the source package.
Python's license is compatible with the GPL. rsync is licensed under GPL, so
all of the dependencies are free software.

The COPYING file has the whole copy of the license instead of a link to an
external source, so that checks out. In dirsyncng/, the template files have
copyright in the wrong place - at the end instead of the beginning, so I
assume those are derivatives (non-source files) and check out. The copyright
is missing from the Makefile which is a source file and should mention the
license at the beginning. doc/source/conf.py doesn't have a copyright, and I
think that's fine b/c I don't think the docs qualify as source files.
tools/createui.sh has the copyright at the end, and I think that's wrong. I
assume the UI files do not have copyright notices, so I'm guessing they might
not be scripts. Doesn't windowsbuild.bat need a copyright?

I don't see any Flash, RealPlayer or Quicktime, so that checks out. I don't
see any commercial advertisements either, not even in the main UI if it would
even be there. The README file says this package was tested on Linux, and
that's a big no-no b/c Linux is only the kernel, not the operating system.
It's a common mistake b/c most people and corporations call it Linux, but
wherever there's a reference to Linux like this, it should be replaced with
GNU. GNU/Linux works as well.

The package itself uses the GPL. I think it will run on a free system w/o
requiring non-free software. "or any later version" is in the COPYING file, so
that's good. A good description is present on this webpage. The source code is
here, too. Looks like all the licensing templates were used. "Open" and "GNU"
has not been used in the name. There's no CPL or Java. Seems to be made
primarily for GNU and secondarily for Microsoft. This doesn't appear to be an
attempt to use Savannah as backup storage, and there are no search results for
DirsyncNG (no other webpages). So all of these things in this paragraph
qualify.

In conclusion, there are some things to fix but not many.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?10543>