Re: [Savannah-register-public] [task #12788] Submission of GoldBug Andro

From: thomasasta
Subject: Re: [Savannah-register-public] [task #12788] Submission of GoldBug Android Secure Instant Messenger
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 17:31:40 +0200

Dear Joan,
thanks for the help. Please see comments inline.
Regards TOM

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 12:09 AM, Joan Lledó <address@hidden> wrote:

Follow-up Comment #1:

Hi,

You've linked a tarball with several folders, I'm evaluating the project
inside the GeopIP-1.5.1 folder. I assume that the other folders are libraries,
am I right? Please, give us a tarball containing your project's files only.

GB is as well prepared for Windows Compile, the subpathes contain the libs with original source code and some supathes for the windows Libs, so dll.
We have the Source code fully provided. For the windows compile it porvides for the convenience pre-compiled libs.
If you compile on windows, the given Source has all source files that are needed.

I'm not sure what license are you using for your project, the description of
the submission says "Other (BSD)", but the file '/GeoIp-1.5.1/COPYING' inside
the tarball you've attached contains the text of the LGPL2+ . Please, clarify
 this issue.

The project uses the BSD License,
The libs have other licenses Like libgcrypt has LGPL. That is possible, as the libgcrypt is not modified. there is no derived code from that, it is used as is.

If you're using a BSD license, please tell us whether it's the
Original or Modified BSD, since we don't approve projects licensed under the
Original BSD license.

We have the BSD licsense, see header files. I think it is not a modified license.

Moreover, your project depends on the libssl library. This is a particular
case and you must add an standard openssl exception text in your sources. We
can give you that text, but first we need to know what license are you using.

Yes. please send us the text, if the licensing is needing it, or is it only needed for your project approval?

In addition, most of files in your tarball lack the license header, the rule
is that every file more than 10 lines long must contain a license header. It
includes man pages, README files, ChangeLog, Autotools files like Makefile.am
or configure.ac, test code, examples...

i forwarded that to the developer.
Makefiles are generated automatically.
I think you are a little bit strong here, as e.g. the QT Ui files are XML files, which cannot have a header.

For more information, take a look at this document:
http://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/HowToGetYourProjectApprovedQuickly/

If you are willing to make the changes mentioned above, please provide us with
an URL to an updated tarball of your project.  Upon review, we will reconsider
your project for inclusion in Savannah.

What is the difference in BSD and Modified version and why do you exclude BSD?
And why are you so strong on readme-files having a license? they are not beloning to the source, they are side-effects for help

To help us better keep track of your registration, please use the tracker's
web interface by following the link below. Do not reply directly; the
registration process is not driven by e-mail, and we will not receive such