[Savannah-register-public] [task #13435] Submission of freepost

From: zPlus
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #13435] Submission of freepost
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2014 19:50:50 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

A new project has been registered at Savannah
This project account will remain inactive until a site admin approves or
discards the registration.

= Registration Administration =

While this item will be useful to track the registration process, *approving
or discarding the registration must be done using the specific Group
Administration
<https://savannah.nongnu.org/siteadmin/groupedit.php?group_id=11385> page*,
accessible only to site administrators, effectively *logged as site
administrators* (superuser):

* Group Administration
<https://savannah.nongnu.org/siteadmin/groupedit.php?group_id=11385>

= Registration Details =

* Name: *freepost*
* System Name:  *freepost*
* Type: non-GNU software and documentation
* License: GNU General Public License v3 or later

----

Freepost is a free message-board website.
It's built around communities where users can submit posts, engage in
discussions, and vote interesting content. Users can also create new
communities.
Because of the similar functionalities, we consider this a replacement of
reddit.com software even though our goal is not to emulate it or create yet
another social network (see "Other Comments"). In fact, reddit hasn't freed
all its code [1][2], makes users download proprietary software, runs
user-tracking code such as google analytics and 3rd-pary ads networks, and as
far as I understand - IANAL - their content (posts, comments, media) is not
free according to their user agreement
https://www.reddit.com/help/useragreement. We are planning on releasing all
content (ie. user posts, comments, media) under a free license, and also
support federation at some point.

Freepost is written in PHP using the LAMP stack. The source code is currently
available on GitHub at https://github.com/aPeer/freepost, but we would prefer
a free hosting service. Therefore, after reading
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_open-source_software_hosting_facilities
we decided to file a request for an account here at Savannah.

--------------
[1] http://www.redditblog.com/2008/06/reddit-goes-open-source.html
[2] https://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/freejs-reddit

==== Other Software Required: ====
- PHP, PHP License, https://php.net
- Symfony, MIT License, http://symfony.com
- Doctrine, MIT License, http://www.doctrine-project.org
- PHPUnit, BSD 3 Clause, http://phpunit.de
- Twig, BSD License, http://twig.sensiolabs.org
- jQuery, MIT License, http://jquery.com
- CKEditor, GPL/LGPL/MPL, http://ckeditor.com
- Composer, MIT License, http://getcomposer.org
- AsseticBundle, MIT License (?), https://github.com/symfony/AsseticBundle
- FOSJsRoutingBundle, MIT License,
https://github.com/FriendsOfSymfony/FOSJsRoutingBundle
- HTMLPurifierBundle, (not sure about the license, but the page
http://htmlpurifier.org/download says LGPL v2.1+),
https://github.com/Exercise/HTMLPurifierBundle

==== Other Comments: ====
A couple of friends and I were thinking how we could support more free
software and free content beyond personal donations. We thought that we could
start by building a simple site and raise some money. Our idea was to build a
message-board website and create a community, display few ads (still *without*
proprietary networks such as AdSense), and let the community choose how to use
the money, that is which free projects to support (again, this is unlike
reddit whose profits goes all to a single company). We have recently managed
to publish some code at http://freepo.st, but we have also given up on ads
because they are not a good idea after all. We believe that we can grow the
community, and as more people join we can later find one or more ways to make
some money (for example adding a store).

I also want to invite you guys to join us at http://freepo.st if you like the
idea, because we truly believe that we can make a significant contribution.

:: NOTE for the tarball URL: I've some connection problems that make the
uploading of a 15MB file impossible. The source code is available at
https://github.com/aPeer/freepost , I hope this is not a problem. Thanks.

==== Tarball URL: ====
http://freepo.st

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?13435>