[Savannah-register-public] [task #14426] Submission of TUServer

From: Pavel Kharitonov
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #14426] Submission of TUServer
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 06:46:40 -0400 (EDT)

> but, it does that by calling a MIT licensed JavaScript code that uses
bindings to C++ functions (also MIT) that communicate with OpenSSL

I don't think this is essential. Just imagine: I take a GPL'ed library, write
a complicated wrapper which I release under a lax permissive license, and then
I distribute a proprietary program using that wrapper to access that GPL'ed
library. This wouldn't work because the GPL applies to the whole program and
it doesn't matter how its parts are linked.

> Well, I've found the fastest and easiest way to solve this issue.

I'm afraid it solved a different issue (I also can't help mentioning that the
GNU project doesn't recommend using WTFPL). You effectively allowed other
people using your package with NodeJS; you could do the same with the GPL if
you add an additional OpenSSL-specific permission. The real issue was GPL
compatibility: the users of your package still won't be able to combine it
with other people's GPL'ed code.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?14426>