[task #15760] Submission of WebSTUMP

From: Tristan Miller
Subject: [task #15760] Submission of WebSTUMP
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 08:30:53 -0400 (EDT)

[comment #5 comment #5:]
> [comment #4 comment #4:]
> > 1. The files in the queues/ and tmp/ directories are example newsgroup
articles which users manipulate as part of a simulated moderation scenario.
Such articles don't normally contain copyright and licence notices and so
adding them (even as custom headers) could be confusing to users, who might
mistakenly believe that the software inserts such messages into all its
output, even in real-world scenarios.

> I don't think I understand this.  Copyright and license notices are not
written by software, and some parts of the files in question are hand-written;
why people are likely to think that the notices are added automatically?

Yes, the articles are largely hand-written.  So if users see exactly the same
boilerplate text in every newsgroup article, they are liable to think that
that part of the article has not been hand-written but rather automatically
inserted by the software.

> > 2. The files in config/ are configuration files, and the scripts that read
them do not have any provision for processing comments (behind which we would
need to hide the copyright/licence notices).

> As far as I can see, all copyrightable files in this directory do have
notices

Good, so there is nothing more to do with those files for the time being.

> if there are some scripts that don't allow comments in those files, I think
you should modify them to allow comments

Sure, this is one of a number of things we are already planning to do once
this package has the benefit of Savannah's source control and issue tracking
infrastructure.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15760>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/