[task #15792] Submission of libre-sapienza

From: Andrea G. Monaco
Subject: [task #15792] Submission of libre-sapienza
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2020 18:21:20 -0400 (EDT)

You seem to imply that a client and a server written to interact with each
other are part of a single piece of software and thus that they depend on each
other.

I disagree on both points.

They are different pieces of software because it never happens that control is
transferred between code in one and code in the other. The two only talk with
each other using some protocol or convention.

Plus, the two pieces of software are run in different computers owned by
different users or organizations, and none of the two has control on the
other.
So an usual problem occurs, which is different from the issue of software
freedom: even if my university claimed that the server software is free and
published it as such, the client's users would have no way to be sure that the
software run in the server computers is really that one piece of free
software.

Free software is essentially about having full control on the computation done
on *your* machines, both as a single user and as a society; therefore I don't
really think that a free client that talks with a possibly proprietary server
is an ethical issue.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15792>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/