[task #16067] Submission of Dezyne

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: [task #16067] Submission of Dezyne
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2021 06:03:01 -0500 (EST)

Follow-up Comment #21, task #16067 (project administration):

Ineiev writes:

>> https://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/Copyright-Notices.html
>>
>>     Some formats do not have room for textual annotations; for these
>>     files, state the copyright and copying permissions in a README file
>>     in the same directory.
>
> Quite right.  These are text files, they do have room for textual
> annotations.

No, there is no room for that.  Let me show you what would happen to
our documentation when adding copyright headers to these files.  The
semantics chapter would change from this:

    5.3 Direct multiple out events
    ==============================

    A requires port inevitably triggering multiple out-events (‘r.a’,
‘r.b’)
    is implemented as one function call for each out-event posting in the
    component queue, followed by a single flush call to trigger component
    processing of the events.  The below 2 versions of the component are
    indistinguishable looking from the outside.

         interface I
         {
           out void a ();
           out void b ();
           behavior
           {
             on inevitable: {a; b;}
           }
         }

         component direct_multiple_out1
         {
           provides I p;
           requires I r;
           behavior
           {
             on r.a (): p.a ();
             on r.b (): p.b ();
           }
         }

       [small, 1in image]

         import direct_multiple_out.dzn;

         component direct_multiple_out2
         {
           provides I p;
           requires I r;
           behavior
           {
             on r.a (): {}
             on r.b (): {p.a (); p.b ();}
           }
         }

       [small, 1in image]

       The third variant is left as an exercise to the reader.

48 lines that fit on one screen, change and turn out to look like this:

    5.3 Direct multiple out events
    ==============================

    A requires port inevitably triggering multiple out-events (‘r.a’,
‘r.b’)
    is implemented as one function call for each out-event posting in the
    component queue, followed by a single flush call to trigger component
    processing of the events.  The below 2 versions of the component are
    indistinguishable looking from the outside.

         // Dezyne --- Dezyne command line tools
         //
         // Copyright © 2018 Jan (janneke) Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org>
         //
         // This file is part of Dezyne.
         //
         // Dezyne is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it
         // under the terms of either:
         //
         //   the GNU Affero General Public License as published by the Free
         //   Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at
your
         //   option) any later version.
         //
         // or
         //
         //  the GNU Free Documentation License version 1.3 or later; with no
         //   Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover
Texts,
         //
         // Dezyne is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
         // WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
         // MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU
         // Affero General Public License for more details.
         //
         // You should have received a copy of the GNU Affero General Public
         // License along with Dezyne.  If not, see
<http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.

         interface I
         {
           out void a ();
           out void b ();
           behavior
           {
             on inevitable: {a; b;}
           }
         }

[...]

100 lines (more than twice as long) that mostly draw attention to
copyright headers.  Using copyright headers here is clearly
unacceptable, since:

   Some formats do not have room for textual annotations

Furthermore, the examples above are trivial creations, and therefore
not copyrightable.  To remove any doubt, the README makes the dual
licensing clear, the copyright is of course listed in the dezyne.texi
of the manual itself (and can bee derived from git or the ChangeLog).

So with this explanation, we should now be in full compliance with
https://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/Copyright-Notices.html.

If agree, can you please approve?

Greetings,
Janneke