[task #16088] Submission of datestamp

From: Ineiev
Subject: [task #16088] Submission of datestamp
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2021 05:48:37 -0500 (EST)

[comment #4 comment #4:]
> So one can run my program with the
> LuaLaTeX engine which is GPLv2-licensed. So nothing in this
> package depends on any non-free software.

Savannah has a stricter hosting requirement than just having no proprietary
dependencies: the hosted packages should be compatible with the GPL version 3
and any later version.  If you link your package with a program released under
the GPL version 2 only, the combination will be GPLv2-only, making your
program effectively GPLv3-incompatible.

[comment #5 comment #5:]
> 1. Why is this http and not https? Not an expert, but isn't
>    the later more safe?

No, HTTPS isn't more safe.  The integrity of the released packages is ensured
with the GPG signature, it can't be enforced at the level of the website
because we use mirrors, so basically anyone can setup a mirror and offer
forged releases, and using HTTPS can't prevent or even detect that.

> 2. My question was not about the download area. While
>    browsing through some other projects, I noticed that the
>    general structure of the URL of any repository is like
>    https://web.cvs.savannah.nongnu.org/viewvc/<project>,
>    is that correct?

No; the URL depends on the VCS and the method one uses to access the
repository.  I shan't discuss all possibilities here.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?16088>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/