savannah-users

Re: ViewVC Exception

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: ViewVC Exception
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2020 19:48:28 -0700

Thomas De Contes wrote:
> [...]

Those are working okay for me at the moment as well.

> probably, since i've got 2 different messages for the same url
>
> but that's strange that you had not any problem at all ...

There are two very likely possibilities.  One on your end and one on
our end.

For one I am seeing http instead of https in the location.  Which
means that corporate and ISP proxies may be getting in the middle and
causing trouble.  That happens more often than seems reasonable but
does.

Please try the https protocol instead.  Does that work better?

Also the past day and a half has had some problems with memory
exhaustion due to external influence starting a git clone then either
dropping the connection or getting dropped due to networking issues.
However its Emacs and the repository is large and the resulting git
pack-objects process consumes 800 MB of active RAM before deciding to
write anything to the closed file descriptor and then exiting.  That's
been a problem.  We have mitigation in effect now to detect those as
quickly as practical and kill them as they are occurring.

The memory exhaustion usually manifests as a 503 Bad Gateway.  I am
sure users on this list will have seen it the past couple of days
while this has been happening.  At those times the system has been
running a high cpu load average of 70 or so before the errant
processes have been killed to free that memory.

> > An Exception Has Occurred
> >
> > Python Traceback
> >
> > Traceback (most recent call last):

This Python traceback seems very odd because I don't know how memory
exhaustion on the server side would trigger this.  But stranger things
have happened.

> And when I reloaded it, I got :
>
> An error occurred while reading CGI reply (no response received)

This seems much more likely.  As that is basically a 503 Bad Gateway
due to the backend not being able to load in time due to memory
stress.  It eventually loads but not before the timeout which is
already quite long.

I worry the web browser is caching some result.  Please the next time
you have this problem try using a command line tool such as wget or
curl which avoids web browser cache issues.  For example:

    wget -O- -q -S
'http://svn.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/rapid/trunk/gtk_peer/?pathrev=3'

Does that work when at the same time the browser does not?

Bob