savannah-users

Re: Cannot commit because "cvs.sv.gnu.org: Connection timed out"

From: Thomas Schmitt
Subject: Re: Cannot commit because "cvs.sv.gnu.org: Connection timed out"
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 12:19:52 +0200

Hi,

Ineiev wrote:
> from my experience, CVS usually works even without it.

That was my experience too.
I never checked whether it used ssh for transport. But the cvs commit
command always asked for the local password of my key in ~/.ssh.
Now it does not ask any more without CVS_RSH=ssh .

Last success was around may 25. First timeout was at august 30.
This gives me a suspicion:

In mid august i had to communicate with an antique machine. For that i
had to build me a working rsh client from source to overcome this Debian
softlink hack:
  /usr/bin/rsh -> /etc/alternatives/rsh -> /usr/bin/ssh
Now my /usr/bin/rsh is a real rsh client which i have to avoid using
with savannah's CVS.

After restoring the old link chain and unsetting CVS_RSH, an empty
test commit caused the  password prompt and the usual "?" lines about
some files lingering around without being cvs added.

> The CVS_RSH variable is mentioned in
> https://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/SshAccess/;

I read:

  "Another reason for rejection as above can be that you failed to set
   the CVS_RSH environment variable to ssh [...] Without this, cvs will
   be trying to use rsh instead of ssh for the connection, and rsh is not
   allowed (it's insecure by design)."

The "rejection as above" possibly refers to

  "If, when (for example) you try to use cvs, you're rejected with
   Permission denied"

The error symptom for me was not "permission denied" but rather timeout
after 127 seconds.
Maybe one should mention this in the text.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas