schemix-devel

Re: [Schemix-devel] Schemix kernel patch

From: Dr William Bland
Subject: Re: [Schemix-devel] Schemix kernel patch
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 15:53:19 +0000

On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 07:01:55AM +0200, Detlev Zundel wrote:

> I just stumbled across Schemix and I do very much like the concept of
> it.  So in order to play with it, I tried compiling it for my small
> PowerPC based embedded board.

Great!  I'm very interested in non-x86 experiences with Schemix.

> I did succeed in the end although I needed to mess with the code a
> little bit in order to make it compile with gcc-2.95 and in order for it
> to work without devfs

One thing you should be aware of is that, without devfs, the make-device
special form will not work, so you'll be stuck with /dev/schemix and
unable to create new devices.  Still, it might be a good idea to make
devfs support (and hence make-device) a config option, since as you say
not everyone uses devfs (and perhaps not everyone needs make-device).

> Anyway, I am off to a few days of vacation tomorrow, but I'll try to
> investigate thereafter whether I introduced this problem through my
> "fixes" or if there are portability problems.  For anyone interested
> I'll attach the patches I had to make.

Great!

> Till then I'd just like to suggest that the drivers/char/Makefile is
> patched with a line like
>
> obj-$(CONFIG_SCHEMIX) += schemix.o

You are quite right.  I've fixed my local copy and the next release of
Schemix will have the fix too.

> Cheers and thanks for the code!

Thankyou!
Best wishes,
                Bill.
--
Dr. William Bland.                          Computer Programmer, UK.
www.abstractnonsense.com