schemix-devel

Re: [Schemix-devel] Re: Some big changes in CVS

From: Detlev Zundel
Subject: Re: [Schemix-devel] Re: Some big changes in CVS
Date: 16 May 2003 21:28:17 +0200

Hi David,

> any particular place to get the kallsyms patch? I'm searching the kernel
> archives, but it's kinda noisy and hard to follow...

I don't know if this patch[1] applies any longer, but it looks quite
generic as mostly only the link files have to be patched.  Maybe it
gives you another good starting point for further web research ;)

> if I make 'make modules' and get schemix.o, is there any trick I can make to
> System.map, etc to get the module to be insmod'ed in my current kernel? (i'm
> having some symbol problems to compile this kernel under red hat 9, I still
> gotta get a fresh tarball from kernel.org :-(    I can do without the
> special forms for now, just to have a barely functional schemix would be
> enough for now...

If you were able to compile the module using a linux source tree that
matches your running kernel, then there should be no problem loading
it.  Simply insmod ./schemix.o should do the trick (as the modprobe
trickery should not be needed).

> I'm also checking the code to see if I can find out to which extent schemix
> is not R5RS compliant, I expect I will have some results before the deadline
> for papers, but having schemix working is a must, of course. The idea is
> being able to talk about how the module works, what it is for, and showing
> examples of its usefulness.

I also wanted to check the R5RS compliance.  The first things I would
check are true tail recursion, R5RS macro system (define-syntax ..),
and support for all numeric types.

Please share your results with us.

Cheers
  Detlev

[1] http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/kksymoops/linux-2.4.9-kallsyms.patch

--
Shin: a device for finding furniture in the dark.