screen-devel

Re: [screen-devel] using screen for connecting two machines via serial p

From: david kerns
Subject: Re: [screen-devel] using screen for connecting two machines via serial port
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 22:27:45 -0700

Typically, you run getty on one computer (the host), then screen (or some other terminal emulator) on the second.
getty will prompt you for a login/password and then spawn a shell.
I suppose you could just spawn a shell directly (from systemctl), but that is, obviously, insecure.

Ultimately, what you're seeing is an issue with canonical processing. The "host" of the connection usually "echos" back each character sent to it.