screen-devel

[screen-devel] [bug #62971] bad handling of double-width characters

From: Vincent Lefèvre
Subject: [screen-devel] [bug #62971] bad handling of double-width characters
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 06:04:25 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #1, bug #62971 (project screen):

There is a bug on Savannah, which truncates the report before the offending
character!

With GNU Screen 4.09.00 under Debian/unstable, the double-width characters are
not handled correctly.

For instance, run "screen sh", then resize the window to 35 columns (an odd
number of columns), then type "cat > /dev/null" and 20 times the character
U+1F3E0 HOUSE BUILDING (I can't give the raw Unicode character due to the bug
on Savannah). I get

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxx

where I've replaced the U+1F3E0 character by "x", which is normal. But if I
increase the width by one column, I still get that instead of

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xx

And if I increase the width again by several columns, I get

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxx

i.e. with a space between the first 17 characters and the last 3.

And if I decrease the width again so that only the left part of the U+1F3E0
character should appear, I actually see only the right part in the terminal's
margin (i.e. a few pixels).

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?62971>

Message posté via Savannah
https://savannah.gnu.org/