screen-devel

[screen-devel] [bug #63870] Monochrome mode

From: anonymous
Subject: [screen-devel] [bug #63870] Monochrome mode
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 21:10:52 -0500 (EST)

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
                 Release: 4.9.0
         Discussion Lock: Any
           Fixed Release: None
         Planned Release: None
           Work Required: None

Follow-up Comments:

Date: Sun 05 Mar 2023 02:10:50 AM UTC By: Anonymous
Can we get a command or switch I can pass to "screen" on the command line to
force the TERMCAP/terminfo to always be monochrome?

Why am I asking this?  Well, I want to put a status display up on a HP 100LX
(which is connecting to a Raspberry Pi Zero with an Ethernet adapter via
serial port cable).  It only does 2-bit greyscale (black, white, and 2 greys)
because it's an LCD screen.

If I do the following:

1. set TERM to "pcansi-m"
2. run "screen -S test" on the Pi Zero
3. connect to the Pi Zero from the HP 100LX  (serial connection)
4. set TERM to "pcansi25m" (terminal does 25 lines )
5. run "screen -x test" on the serial connection
6. run "set | grep TERMCAP"

...and the "AX" capability is set. It should be cleared (not showing).  Color
is wasted on the HP 100LX and screen (if told "force monochrome") shouldn't
turn it on.

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?63870>

Message sent via Savannah
https://savannah.gnu.org/