screen-users

Re: How to unhide 'status-bar'?

From: Erik Falor
Subject: Re: How to unhide 'status-bar'?
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2023 11:11:36 -0700

On Sun, Mar 05, 2023 at 04:48:41AM +0000, famubu@rawtext.club wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I was trying to figure out a way to hide/unhide the 'status bar' (not sure if
> that's the term) showing the names of the windows. The one that shows up at
> the
> bottom of the screen session by default.
>
> So I did `prefix : hardstatus ignore` and the status bar went away.
>
> But how can I get it back?
>
> Any idea?

I believe the "status-bar" you are referring to is controlled by the
'caption' command.

`prefix :caption splitonly` will hide it unless the screen has been
split.

`prefix :caption always` brings it back.

As an aside, the manual suggests that the caption can be placed at the
top or bottom of the screen by giving `:caption` an extra argument.

When I run `prefix :caption top always`, I am greeted with this error
message:

    usage: caption always|splitonly|string <string>

This is in Screen version 4.09.00 (GNU) 30-Jan-22.

--
Erik Falor
Registered Linux User #445632                    http://unnovative.net