silpa-discuss

[silpa-discuss] Another idea for getting content from particular lines o

From: Vasudev Kamath
Subject: [silpa-discuss] Another idea for getting content from particular lines of a file
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 21:58:23 +0530

Hi,
I'm still not having any luck on getting data from dictionary file using index
file and file seeking. So i have another approach of doing this. Here is the
idea
Module to use linecache which has function getline which can get a line from a
given file.
Pro: No head ache of offsets file seeking and other things getline with a while
loop can handle this
Con: I went through the implementation of linecache it reads entire file and
cache's it so that if you use same file again it won't go for file it gets data
from cache. Now below is the size of each dictionary file as seen from the du -
hc
2.5M    dicts/bn_BD.dic
2.5M    dicts/bn_IN.dic
912K    dicts/en_US.dic
3.8M    dicts/gu_IN.dic
300K    dicts/hi_IN.dic
1.8M    dicts/kn_IN.dic
5.2M    dicts/ml_IN.dic
288K    dicts/mr_IN.dic
24K     dicts/or_IN.dic
40K     dicts/pa_IN.dic
3.3M    dicts/ta_IN.dic
21M     total
So if we use linecache then we need minimum of 21MB for dictionaries itself.
So i'm not sure whether to continue with linecache or not. I want your opinion

Thanks and Regards
Vasudev Kamath