silpa-discuss

Re: [silpa-discuss] How the transliteration tool works?

From: Santhosh Thottingal
Subject: Re: [silpa-discuss] How the transliteration tool works?
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 21:28:31 +0530

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 3:45 PM, suji A <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi
> I download the latest code of silpa project, i would like to know how the
> transliteration is working for tamil to english? Because i have to change
> some mapping for that
> for example ஞ=nja to gna . how to do that?

How the word ஞாபகம் is pronounced? gnapakam or njapakam?
ஞாண் = gnan ? njan ?

The iso15919 pronunciation for it is ñāṇ  and IPA is ɲaːɳ
Refer : http://wiki.senthamil.org/%E0%AE%9E%E0%AE%BE%E0%AE%A3%E0%AF%8D/index.jsp
and http://smc.org.in/silpa/Transliterate with Transliteraton : IPA or
ISO15919:2001

I am not good in Tamil. So let me know if the above written things are wrong.

If you are looking for  exception for some particular words, let me
know. We can always write a special rule for that words.

Thanks
Santhosh