silpa-discuss

[silpa-discuss] Packaging Silpa for Debian

From: Vasudev Kamath
Subject: [silpa-discuss] Packaging Silpa for Debian
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 11:06:02 +0530

Hi all,
I was thinking on how to package silpa and here are few points which
came into my mind
1. Silpa is not a simple software so packaging is not straight
forward. Its not simple piece of software because it can be used as a
library and also as a web app.
2. To package Silpa we need to seperate out each modules hosted in
silpa to seperate packages. And making this requires we release
version of each module into pypi and also in savannah download area.
3. Create package for commons and utils as silpa-commons and
silpa-utils and may be for web folder we can have silpa-web?
4. Currently there is jsonrpc folder in silpa which is itself a module
(python-jsonrpc) we can remove this if we can get it packaged and
uploaded to pypi. Here is the rfp for the package
5. Once we have each things packaged to debian have a single package
called silpa which will depends on all the above mentioned packages
and additionally creates the things required for running silpa as web
app and python-silpa which will be for installing silpa as python
module,

This is just overview which came into my mind but the process may be
still complex. Please provide your suggestions on this.

Thanks and Regards
--

Vasudev Kamath
http://vasudevkamath.blogspot.com