skribilo-users

Skribilo reader

From: Simon Tournier
Subject: Skribilo reader
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2022 19:25:20 +0100

Hi,

Follow up of <https://yhetil.org/guix/87zgcpiqcv.fsf@gnu.org>. :-)

The question is about more Skribilo readers with less parenthesis.  As
Racket Scribble, which appears like yet another markup language (but not
yaml ;-)).

>>> Definitely, there’s already a couple of them and we could add one with a
>>> syntax similar to Texinfo or Scribble.

[...]

>> Well, if it is possible to implement something similar to Texinfo, why
>> not similar to LaTeX which is more popular for scientific authoring
>> system than all the others.

> Because LaTeX (really: TeX) has the wrong abstraction level.

I am not sure to understand.  We are speaking about the surface syntax
and if it possible to implement a Skribilo reader, then I am missing why
it would not be possible for some LaTeX syntax.

For instance, the Texinfo manual reads,

        A Texinfo source file is a plain text file containing text interspersed
        with @-commands (words preceded by an ‘@’) that tell the Texinfo
        processors what to do. Texinfo’s markup commands are almost entirely
        semantic; that is, they specify the intended meaning of text in the
        document, rather than physical formatting instructions.

https://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/manual/texinfo/texinfo.html#Overview

and Texinfo is a complex Perl program parsing and outputting for
different backend, no?

Do you mean that LaTeX markup is more than “semantic”?  Aside LaTeX
macro.

Cheers,
simon

PS: Keep me CC please, I am not subscribed yet. :-)