sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Keydump

From: Dinko Korunic
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Keydump
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 11:37:15 +0200

On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 09:13:25AM +0300, Robert Golovniov wrote:
>   Could  anybody please advise me how to convert PKS database into the
>   SKS  database?  I  tried to search Twiki, but still could figure out
>   how to do it. There is one sentence about it found there, but for me
>   it was still a bit vague (If you're running a PKS server, you should
>   be  able  to  convince  PKS  to  generate  one for you.) So, I would
>   appreciate any hints on how to do it in practice.

Hi. I would, however, recommend against it. PKS is IMHO easily desynced
(in actual terms: one day of lost incremental mails means a lot of
headache and manual work to be done).

Use rather guaranteed good sources such as:

http://pgp.rediris.es:16000/rings/split/
http://keyserver.noreply.org/keydumps/
http://download.penguin.de/ftp_pub/
http://pgpkeys.telering.at/public/

And you'll get the rest of the keys via SKS gossip.

If you, however, decide to go for it.. You can either [of course, after
you've stopped your PKS server to have safe DB environment]:

a) use pksdclient to export keys into one big file [which is usually bad
  idea]:

pksdclient /where/db get whatever aist > dumpfile

b) use excellent pkskeydump which got incorporated in recent PKS CVS:

cvs -d:pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/pks login
cvs -d:pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/pks co pks

You'll have to copy pkskeydump.c where sources of your actual PKS are,
since it quite important to have *same* Sleepycat library DB version
[that means, same major version].

To compile it, add below code after O13 and kxa targets:

O14 = pkskeydump.o $(DBOBJS) $(PGPOBJS) $(MISCOBJS) $(UTILOBJS)
pkskeydump: $(O14)
  $(CC) -o $@ $(O14) $(LDFLAGS) $(LIBDB)

^^ --> this is tab!

Do a 'make pkskeydump' and you're all set:

cp pkskeydump /where/pksd/bin
cd /where/pksd
./bin/pkskedump ./var/db mydumps
[it will take a day or two]