sks-devel

[Sks-devel] patch-36 - severe slowdown

From: Jason Harris
Subject: [Sks-devel] patch-36 - severe slowdown
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 09:41:24 -0400

At least for me, patch-36:

  address@hidden/sks--mainline--1.0--patch-36
      Build ptree using keyid database instead of key (makes it faster)

causes a severe slowdown, a factor of 3X or more.  I suspect this is
related to the unsorted order of SKS hashes in the keyid (v. key) db.

Yaron, have you read /usr/local/share/doc/db43/ref/am_misc/partial.html
(also online via http://www.sleepycat.com/docs/ref/am_misc/partial.html )
and tried fetching as little of each record in the key db as possible?

So, I'm now running sks-1.0.9 with these patches:

  address@hidden/sks--mainline--1.0--patch-33
      2004-10-30 19:34:55 GMT      Yaron Minsky <address@hidden>
      Fixed bug insufficiently strict parsing of public key packets
  address@hidden/sks--mainline--1.0--patch-34
      2004-12-13 17:04:14 GMT      Yaron Minsky <address@hidden>
      Update to logfile creation, fixed malformed hash error message
  address@hidden/sks--mainline--1.0--patch-37
      2005-01-19 17:23:16 GMT      Yaron Minsky <address@hidden>
      Modified basedir functionality.
  address@hidden/sks--mainline--1.0--patch-38
      2005-01-19 15:02:11 GMT      Yaron Minsky <address@hidden>
      Patch fixing membership bug (from Marco Nenciarini)

but without these:

  address@hidden/sks--mainline--1.0--patch-35
      Updated SKS to be compatible with 3.08 and Berkeley DB 4.2
  address@hidden/sks--mainline--1.0--patch-36
      Build ptree using keyid database instead of key (makes it faster)

using db-4.3.27 and ocaml-3.07.

--
Jason Harris           |  NIC:  JH329, PGP:  This _is_ PGP-signed, isn't it?
address@hidden _|_ web:  http://keyserver.kjsl.com/~jharris/