sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] sks build times

From: Kim Minh Kaplan
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] sks build times
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 19:14:04 +0000

Andy Ruddock writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently rebuilding the database for keyserver.rainydayz.org.
> I'm using the normalbuild rather than the fastbuild.
> I'm presuming that the process displays the time taken after it's
> processed each file, which means that the rebuild is going to take about
> three weeks.
> As it's a slow machine I reckoned the extra time spent building the
> database would be compensated for it running faster when it was finished.
> How much faster is the fastbuild process and how much slower does the
> server run when it's finished?

When I had a quick glance at this[1], the default settings for Berkeley
DB's page size seamed way too low; you could try increasing it.  But
once the key database is fully populated it occupies more room than one
built with fastbuild.  I suspect that performances will not change much
in the day to day operation of your SKS server, but please tell us what
your experience is.

> Would it not be possible to get a file dump of the database and start
> with that?

It should be but I am not sure what kind of gain you'd expect.

[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/sks-devel/2009-08/msg00058.html
--
Kim Minh